Taylor

Taylor
She is why I'm busy

Sunday, February 7, 2010

ADDERALL EXPERIMENT - Five day BUST

I was so excited when I heard about Adderall.  It seemed the PERFECT answer to my lagging energy and slow and steady weight gain.  On paper and in theory it sounded so good.  I'd have energy, I would focus on tasks and I would lose my appetite and thus, lose weight.  But so far, after five days, the experiment is a bust!!  I know, five days doesn't really constitute a very good experiment, but when you're a busy mother, and something doesn't work, you have to move on to something else.

Day 1 - Seemed like I had a bit more energy.  At first, it felt like nervous energy, but it got better.  My focus, however, was NOT any better.  When I talked I felt like I was stumbling over my words and couldn't get my thoughts out.  I felt foggy and even more unfocused than usual.  I was able to organize my on line photos, which was a project I had been putting off, but besides that, I didn't accomplish anything out of the usual.  I didn't go to bed until about midnight (I'm usually asleep by 10) and I didn't sleep well at all.  I kept waking throughout the night and then woke up at about 4:30am and couldn't fall back asleep.

Day 2 - This was the best day in terms of energy.  I got a bit more accomplished than I think I would have normally, but the focus was still weak and my speech was embarrassing.  I could barely communicate when I needed to, unable to get a single thought out in a clear manner.  That night, I barely slept at all.  I kept tossing and turning and had a few vivid dreams.  I finally woke up at 3:00am and couldn't fall back asleep.

Day 3 - I felt like a zombie.  Two days without sleep was not a good start.  I decided to take half a dosage because I had to be able to get some sleep.  I knew another night without sleep was going to be BAD.  I ate like a cow that day.(So much for loss of appetite) and with little energy.  I craved ice cream and ended up eating two ice cream cones and a blizzard.  I did get to sleep at a decent hour, but it was still a very light sleep.  I woke up at 5:00, but still felt a bit more rested than before.

Day 4 - I was still feeling tired, but decided to still only take a half dosage to avoid another night of restless sleep.  I had so many things to do today and was really hoping to have some extra energy, but to no avail.  The nervousness seemed to have gone away, but the inability to have a normal conversation and tiredness remained!!!  My appetite still seemed out of control. How is this possible.  I am sure I am the only person able to eat and eat while taking this.  I craved bread and ice cream.  We ended up having pizza and blizzards again.  I am sure that I have gained 5 pounds.  Worse yet, I hadn't worked out a single day while taking the Adderall.  I went to sleep at a decent hour and actually slept pretty well.  I woke up at 5:30 (pretty standard) and felt ready for the day.

Day 5 - I actually worked out this morning.  It felt good to be at the gym again.  I almost didn't take the half dosage today because I felt so good without it, but I did anyways.  It worked out pretty good.  I had energy in which I actually accomplished something.  Today was the first day in five days that my house was actually clean.  I got my shopping done and I ate like a normal human being.  I am guessing that I will probably sleep well tonight too. 

Despite having a pretty good fifth day, I think this is the end of my Adderall experiment.  The pros do not seem to outweigh the cons and I can't afford to bring on additional cons in my life.  I did however, eat three of these Choco-Coconut Brownie Bars during my experiment and found out that they are EXCELLENT!

Choco-Coconut Brownie Bars
2 tubes (18 ounces each) refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough with walnuts
2 eggs
1 box (19 1/2 ounces) traditional brownie mix
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup sweetened flake coconut

1. Heat oven to 350 F.  Coat 15x10x1 inch jelly-roll baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Press cookie dough evenly into bottom of prepared baking pan.  Stir eggs, brownie mix, 1/4 cup water and 1/3 cup vegetable oil together until well blended. Spoon brownie batter over cookie dough.  Sprinkle walnuts and coconut over top of brownie batter.
3. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes.  Cool completely.  To serve, cut into 36 individual bars. 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like it backfired on you. Tired and an appetite. Not Good.

    Brownies sound good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously the adderall wore off - you havent blogged in days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GRUMPAGUGGUGUGUGUUUUGGHOOOOHAAA

    ReplyDelete