Taylor

Taylor
She is why I'm busy

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sample menu for "Feed Your Face"

When I started the "Four weeks to Gorgeous skin" program, that was exactly what I wanted....Gorgeous skin.  But, when I lost 4.2 pounds by following the "Feed Your Face" advice for week one, well you can guess that I was pretty excited!!  And apparently, some of you were too.  I was asked by a couple of readers to give a sample menu of the foods I ate for that week, so here is what my family and I ate.  (Please read "Four weeks to Gorgeous Skin - Feed Your Face - for details on the suggested food to eat)

First - What are serving sizes
1 Fruit = a whole medium fruit; 1 cup of berries; or 1/2 cup cut fruit
1 Vegetable = 1/2 cup chopped veggies; 1 cup of greens
1 Whole Grain = Slice of bread; 1/2 cup cereal or grains like brown rice, quinoa, amaranth, millet, whole wheat.
1 Protein = one egg, 3 ounces of fish or meat, 1/2 cup of tofu or beans
1 Fat = 1 tsp Olive oil, six nuts or 1 tblsp ground flaxseed
1 Water = 8 ounces

I want to start by saying that when I started the "Feed Your Face" week, I had decided to try to feed my family mostly organic foods.  All of our eggs, milk, fruits, vegetables, bread, and almost everything else was switched to organic.  Anything that we used to eat that contained white flour was off limit.  Since we needed to get whole grains in for the program, we switched all pastas to either brown rice pasta, whole wheat pasta, quinoa or spelt.  We switched our bread to Rainier Organic Bakery Ezekiel 4:9 and all of our lunch meats, sausages or hot dogs were switched to nitrate/nitrite free, no fillers and no antibiotics used.  Basically, we were trying to go without preservatives or chemicals.  Now imagine trying to shop like that.  HARD!!  Plus, not everyone carries this type of food, so you have to shop around.  Good luck!  Anyway, here's the menu.

Breakfast - I take my supplements with my milk in the morning
Tomato/cheese one egg omelet, toast with real butter, sliced kiwi, 1 cup milk
or
Boiled egg, slice of ham, blueberries, 1 cup milk
or
Whole multi grain oatmeal, blueberries, ham, 1 cup milk
or
Plain yogurt with berries and stevia, toast with real butter, 1 cup milk


Lunch - I get the majority of my water between lunch and dinner and I eat my dessert after lunch instead of after dinner!

Bowl of chili (see recipe), slice of toast with real butter
or
Ham/cheese/tomato sandwich, apple
or
Tuna/Cheese/tomato open face sandwich, grapes
or
Grilled cheese and tomato sandwich with tomato soup
or
Cheeseburger patty with tomato and lettuce, 1/2 cup quinoa

Snacks - Try to go no longer than 4 hours without eating
1/2 cup Bean dip and 20 "Guiltless Gourmet" Corn chips
or
20 raw walnuts and apple
or
3 slices of turkey on a whole wheat tortilla
or
Low fat cheese stick and unlimited blueberries


Dinner - Don't eat ANYTHING after 9pm.....preferably 7pm
Chili, cornbread, salad
or
4 ounce Chicken Breast, tomato/mozzarella salad, Quinoa
or
Spaghetti and Meatballs, Salad, slice of toast
or
Sesame Noodles and Salmon, steamed broccoli
or
2 whole wheat fajitas, brown spanish rice, bean dip and "Guiltless Gourmet" tortilla chips

I hope this helps you on your way to the better skin AND slimmer waistline.  I let you know how my second week goes.  Here's another recipe to keep you on track....

Chicken Tacos with Drunken Beans - Serves 4

4 Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
Salt and pepper to taste
Nonstick cooking spray
3 med slices nitrate free turkey bacon
1 garlic clove, minced
2 med fresh jalapenos, minced
1 large can refried black beans
1 sm can (14.5) fat free chicken broth
1 bottle Corona Light
1 Cup shredded romaine lettuce
1 cup chopped roma tomatoes
4 - 6' Ezekiel tortillas

Salt and pepper chicken and grill til done.  Slice or shred and set aside.  Brown bacon.  Add garlic and jalapenos and cook 1-2 minutes.  Add beans, then 1/2 can broth and stir until smooth.  Stir in beer and heat through.  Serve next to the tacos.  YUM

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Thanks for the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out living good 365 for a healthy recipe or useful tip daily, everyday!

    ReplyDelete